If you’ve been charged with a crime, you have a few options when it comes to representation. You can go up against the prosecutor alone, for example, or you can hire a criminal defense attorney. Depending on the circumstances, you may also be entitled to use the services of a public defender.
Since the consequences of a conviction can be both severe and long lasting, it’s typically unwise to represent yourself. With so much at stake, you’re going to want strategic counsel from a seasoned professional.
Unfortunately, while some attorneys try their best to help those who turn to them for guidance, many are overworked. As a result, their clients tend to be underserved, and a lot of critical details inevitably fall through the cracks.
The best way to ensure your case receives the attention it deserves is by hiring your own lawyer. Should this be the route you end up taking, you can expect your legal team to do the following:
- Explain your rights from day one and work tirelessly on your behalf to uphold them at every stage of the proceedings;
- Evaluate the strength of the evidence the prosecutor has against you;
- Conduct their own investigation to gather evidence that might allow them to challenge one or more aspects of the prosecutor’s case;
- Devise a strategic defense that aims to secure lesser charges with reduced penalties (if the case cannot be dismissed altogether);
- Negotiate with the prosecutor in an attempt to bypass going to trial;
- Seek alternative outcomes to the standard sentence if a conviction is imminent to uphold your freedom and reputation;
- Provide honest and straightforward counsel; and
- Keep you informed of the progress of your case every step of the way.
What Should I Look for in a Criminal Defense Attorney?
Once you’ve made the decision to enlist legal help, you’re going to have to find the best law firm to represent you. Unless this happens to be a subsequent offense, you’ve probably never hired a defense lawyer before and you’re wondering what to look for in an attorney.
When evaluating lawyers, there are a few qualities worth prioritizing. For example, you want to find someone who’s handled cases similar to yours, because they’ll have relevant experience they can fall back on when devising your defense.
You should also look for someone who has a track record of securing favorable outcomes for their clients and who makes themselves available every step of the way.
Discuss Your Case with a Criminal Defense Lawyer in Morristown
At The Law Offices of Joseph S. Scura, we give every case the attention it deserves. If you’ve found yourself on the wrong side of the law, you’ll get the knowledge, resources, and experience of our powerhouse practice backing your every move.
In 2015, 2016, and 2017, Super Lawyers® Magazine named attorney Joseph S. Scura among New Jersey’s Rising Stars™ in the area of criminal defense. Call 973-832-0841 or use our Online Contact Form to schedule a free case review with a criminal defense attorney in Morristown.