White Collar Crimes Attorney in Morristown
Experienced Defense for State & Federal Cases
White collar crimes are typically nonviolent financial crimes where a significant loss is caused as a result of illegal activity. In most cases, these crimes are committed by professionals in a position of power such as corporate executives, government officials, and other management positions.
The laws regulating these crimes are quite complex, which can make it even more difficult to understand the charges against you. You need a New Jersey White Collar Crime lawyer on your side to help you navigate the complexities of your case. At the Law Office of Joseph S. Scura, we take the time to understand your case and build a strong defense.
To learn about your legal options, call us at (973) 832-0841 to set up a case consultation.
Understanding the Nature of White Collar Crimes in New Jersey
White collar crimes is an umbrella term which can apply to many different types of financially motivated crimes. This ambiguity can make it easier for both local and federal prosecutors to assemble a case accusing you of multiple types of illegal behavior. Fortunately, our Morristown white collar crime attorney at The Law Offices of Joseph S. Scura has nearly a decade of experience navigating these laws and knows how to assist you.
A few common white collar crimes include:
- Embezzlement - Fine up to $15,000 and up to 20 years in prison, e.g. lawyers handling their client's finances, or politicians taking public money.
- Insurance fraud - Up to 10 years in prison and a fine up to$15,000, e.g. claiming more cost to fix a car that was in a crash than what it really was., claiming to have a made up injury to a medical insurer.
- Wire/mail fraud - Fine of up to $1,000,000 and up to 30 years in jail, e.g. telemarketing scams and "Nigerian Prince" scam.
- Bank fraud - Fine of up to $1,000,000 and up to 30 years in prison, e.g. illegally obtaining money from a financial institution or obtaining money from depositors by falsely claiming to be a bank.
- Money laundering - Up to 5 years in prison, e.g. possessing property that someone reasonable who have known was obtained illegally and taking part in a transaction that is intended to hide the illegal source of the property.
- RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) - Normally up to 20 years in prison, but can be up to life in certain instances; can involve bribery, gambling and extortion.
- Computer and internet crimes - Can be years in prison or just probation depending on severity, e.g. phishing scams and hacking.
- Bribery - Up to 10 years in prison, e.g. someone paying a government official for improper favors.
- Tax fraud - Up to 5 years in prison and a fine of up to $100,000, e.g. claiming false deductions and using a false social security number.
The consequences of a white collar crime can vary based on the nature of the alleged offense, how much damage was allegedly done, and whether you have a criminal history.
Depending on these factors, you could face:
- Significant fines
- Forfeiture of your assets
- Other criminal and civil penalties
Protect Your Future by Hiring a Morris County Lawyer
When it comes to a serious white collar crime charge, choosing the right law firm is crucial. At The Law Offices of Joseph S. Scura, we recognize our responsibility to help you defend your charges to us, and we take this seriously. Our Morristown criminal defense lawyer is well-versed in white-collar law and is known for tenacious defense, winning our firm many accolades and esteemed memberships over the years. Defending your rights and building an effective defense strategy on your behalf is our top priority.
To schedule a case evaluation, call our white collar crimes attorney in Morristown at (973) 832-0841. We take calls 24/7.
We Strategize Based Off Each Clients’ Unique Situation
Extensive Knowledge That Equals Results
Complex & Aggressive Criminal Representation
Your Initial Consultation Is Free
Our Firm Believes in Transparent Communication
We Provide Personalized Attention to Each Case