White Collar Crimes Attorney in Morristown
Experienced Defense for State & Federal Cases
White collar crimes are typically nonviolent financial crimes where a significant loss is caused as a result of illegal activity. In most cases, these crimes are committed by professionals in a position of power such as corporate executives, government officials, and other management positions.
The laws regulating these crimes are quite complex, which can make it even more difficult to understand the charges against you. You need a New Jersey White Collar Crime lawyer on your side to help you navigate the complexities of your case. At the Law Office of Joseph S. Scura, we take the time to understand your case and build a strong defense.
To learn about your legal options, call us at (973) 832-0841 to set up a case consultation.
Understanding the Nature of White Collar Crimes in New Jersey
White collar crimes is an umbrella term which can apply to many different types of financially motivated crimes. This ambiguity can make it easier for both local and federal prosecutors to assemble a case accusing you of multiple types of illegal behavior. Fortunately, our Morristown white collar crime attorney at The Law Offices of Joseph S. Scura has nearly a decade of experience navigating these laws and knows how to assist you.
A few common white collar crimes include:
- Embezzlement - Fine up to $15,000 and up to 20 years in prison, e.g. lawyers handling their client's finances, or politicians taking public money.
- Insurance fraud - Up to 10 years in prison and a fine up to$15,000, e.g. claiming more cost to fix a car that was in a crash than what it really was., claiming to have a made up injury to a medical insurer.
- Wire/mail fraud - Fine of up to $1,000,000 and up to 30 years in jail, e.g. telemarketing scams and "Nigerian Prince" scam.
- Bank fraud - Fine of up to $1,000,000 and up to 30 years in prison, e.g. illegally obtaining money from a financial institution or obtaining money from depositors by falsely claiming to be a bank.
- Money laundering - Up to 5 years in prison, e.g. possessing property that someone reasonable who have known was obtained illegally and taking part in a transaction that is intended to hide the illegal source of the property.
- RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) - Normally up to 20 years in prison, but can be up to life in certain instances; can involve bribery, gambling and extortion.
- Computer and internet crimes - Can be years in prison or just probation depending on severity, e.g. phishing scams and hacking.
- Bribery - Up to 10 years in prison, e.g. someone paying a government official for improper favors.
- Tax fraud - Up to 5 years in prison and a fine of up to $100,000, e.g. claiming false deductions and using a false social security number.
The consequences of a white collar crime can vary based on the nature of the alleged offense, how much damage was allegedly done, and whether you have a criminal history.
Depending on these factors, you could face:
- Significant fines
- Forfeiture of your assets
- Other criminal and civil penalties
Protect Your Future by Hiring a Morris County Lawyer
When it comes to a serious white collar crime charge, choosing the right law firm is crucial. At The Law Offices of Joseph S. Scura, we recognize our responsibility to help you defend your charges to us, and we take this seriously. Our Morristown criminal defense lawyer is well-versed in white-collar law and is known for tenacious defense, winning our firm many accolades and esteemed memberships over the years. Defending your rights and building an effective defense strategy on your behalf is our top priority.
To schedule a case evaluation, call our white collar crimes attorney in Morristown at (973) 832-0841. We take calls 24/7.
I hired Joseph S. Scura for my criminal case in Superior Court. Joseph was able to downgrade this case to municipal court and at the end have the matter dismissed. I couldn't have asked for a better outcome. Joseph was very supportive and never disappointing from the very start. I was able to reach out to him any time by text message or phone call with timely responses. His suggestions were very positive and genuine. I highly recommended Attorney Joseph S. Scura and his team for any criminal case.Pieter W.
Joe is an excellent attorney whose phenomenal research and analytical skills, and ability to anticipate the opposing party's next move help him and his client choose the best strategy for each aspect of the case. He helped me settle a case in my favor.Vera
My dog and I were in serious trouble, and Joe Scura negotiated the best possible solution for both of us. He remained patient and respectful with me during what turned out to be a lengthy ordeal, but it ended well.Katherine
I couldn't recommend Joe Scura and his team more highly. Five stars is not enough. An extremely knowledgeable professional who follows up promptly and maintains contact. He patiently guided me through the legal system and worked tirelessly to turn a potentially serious situation into a dismissal without trial. I hope that there will never be another situation where I would need an attorney, but if so, I would call upon Joe's services without hesitation.William
Mr. Scura handled my court case in Hunterdon County recently with total professionalism. He made a very difficult situation for me less emotional and was able to help me reduce the charges and reach a settlement without further court appearances.Syndi
Joe Scura is an outstanding lawyer. He's highly intelligent and quick witted. We won our case by Joe getting it dismissed. I'd hire him again in a second. I'd highly recommend his services to anyone in need.Kenneth
He went above, and beyond to make sure all my needs were met. He truly cares about his clients and works hard to do what’s best for them. I would highly recommend to anyone who is ever in need of a lawyer.Anon
Without a doubt, Joe Scura is by far a professional who is well versed in the law, exceptionally transparent, Diligent in every aspect, and goes beyond his payment To make sure his client’s needs are met in all domains. Joe’s compassion is as exceptional as his performance.Judith