Morristown Cyber Crime Lawyers
Defending Clients Charged With Internet Crimes in Morris County
We have only just begun to unlock the vast potential of digital computing. How we use and interact with computers is rapidly changing—blockchain, artificial intelligence, smartphones, and other technologies remain novel and evolving. Though modern computer technology has remained largely neutral or benevolent, some have started using it for more malicious purposes—purposefully and by mistake. Many people commit infractions on the internet, also known as “cyber crimes,” without realizing they are doing anything illegal.
While the criminal and other aspects of the internet are still being identified and explored, the legal team at the Law Office of Joseph S. Scura has devised effective and innovative legal defense strategies to protect those accused of online crimes. Our Morristown cyber crime lawyer understands how the law treats internet-based criminal activity and how to build a defense strategy to get those accused of such crimes the lightest possible sentence—if not the charges dropped entirely.
Are you facing a cyber crime charge in New Jersey? Call the Law Offices of Joseph S. Scura today at (973) 832-0841 or contact us onlineto schedule a meeting with one of our cyber crime attorneys in Morristown!
Cyber Crime Cases We Handle
We offer representation for all manner of internet crimes, including:
- Cyberstalking and online harassment
- Data and IP theft
- Denial of service attacks
- Email interception
- Foreign influence with malicious intent
- Identity theft
- Internet fraud
- Spreading ransomware, viruses, and other cyber attacks
- Phishing scams
What are the Laws for State & Federal Cyber Offenses in NJ?
Computer-based crimes span a broad variety of actions, intentions, and outcomes.
- Federal Level: The federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA) of 1986 aimed to prevent the unauthorized use of computers and computer networks to obtain confidential government information or data vital to U.S. national security.
- State Level: section 2C:20-31 of the New Jersey Code of Criminal Justice, which makes it illegal for a person “purposely, knowingly, and without authorization” to access any data, computer, computer storage medium, software, computer equipment, or computer system and to knowingly or recklessly disclose any of the data, software, or personal identifying information found there.
What Are the Penalties for Cyber Crimes?
Cyber crime convictions rely on highly technical evidence and the penalties can be steep.
- State Level: In New Jersey, penalties for such crimes range from a few months and a few thousand dollars in fines to over a decade of imprisonment and tens of thousands of dollars in fines.
- Federal Level: Punishments for cyber crimes committed against a U.S. government agency are especially harsh. People accused of federal cyber crimes can face millions of dollars in fines and effective life sentences. Companies accused of actions like corporate theft and espionage can face liability in billions.
If you suspect you are under investigation for a cybercrime or have recently been charged and arrested, you need to act fast. Our Morristown cyber crime lawyers are available day and night, so don’t hesitate to reach out to our firm for the legal guidance and representation you deserve.
Defense Against Cyber Crime Charges
Our firm provides defensive representation for individuals and companies facing investigations regarding all forms of cyber crime. Investigation of a cyber crime requires immediate action. If you have learned that the FBI or another government agency is reviewing or investigating your online activity and a potential cyber crime, now is the time to take steps to protect yourself by talking to a lawyer.
We always tailor our defense strategies to each individual and their unique case. Some methods we can use to bolster your case include:
- Inform you of your legal rights and work to uphold them
- Negotiate with federal or state agencies before an arrest is made
- Examine evidence collected against you to better craft a defense
- Determine which defense, such as lack of intent or accidental access, works best for your case
- Seek alternative approaches to sentencing that best uphold your freedom and/or reputation
- Offer straightforward and honest legal counsel concerning the legal issues surrounding your case to help you better navigate your situation
- Handle early intervention into the investigative process to help prevent it from leading to civil or criminal charges. If you have already been charged, we will fight to avoid liability and keep you out of prison
Contact Our Morristown Cyber Crime Attorneys Today
Cyber crimes are a growing concern in today's digital age and can have serious legal consequences. It is crucial to understand the types of cyber crimes that exist, as well as the potential penalties associated with each offense. If you or someone you know has been accused of a cyber crime, it is essential to seek the guidance of an experienced criminal defense attorney who can help navigate the legal process and protect your legal rights. Our Morristown cyber crimes lawyer can help build a strong defense strategy and work towards the best possible outcome for your case. Don't hesitate to our firm if you need legal assistance with a cyber crime matter!
Contact the Law Office of Joseph S. Scura today to schedule a FREE consultation with one of our our cyber crime lawyers in Morristown!
I hired Joseph S. Scura for my criminal case in Superior Court. Joseph was able to downgrade this case to municipal court and at the end have the matter dismissed. I couldn't have asked for a better outcome. Joseph was very supportive and never disappointing from the very start. I was able to reach out to him any time by text message or phone call with timely responses. His suggestions were very positive and genuine. I highly recommended Attorney Joseph S. Scura and his team for any criminal case.Pieter W.
Joe is an excellent attorney whose phenomenal research and analytical skills, and ability to anticipate the opposing party's next move help him and his client choose the best strategy for each aspect of the case. He helped me settle a case in my favor.Vera
My dog and I were in serious trouble, and Joe Scura negotiated the best possible solution for both of us. He remained patient and respectful with me during what turned out to be a lengthy ordeal, but it ended well.Katherine
I couldn't recommend Joe Scura and his team more highly. Five stars is not enough. An extremely knowledgeable professional who follows up promptly and maintains contact. He patiently guided me through the legal system and worked tirelessly to turn a potentially serious situation into a dismissal without trial. I hope that there will never be another situation where I would need an attorney, but if so, I would call upon Joe's services without hesitation.William
Mr. Scura handled my court case in Hunterdon County recently with total professionalism. He made a very difficult situation for me less emotional and was able to help me reduce the charges and reach a settlement without further court appearances.Syndi
Joe Scura is an outstanding lawyer. He's highly intelligent and quick witted. We won our case by Joe getting it dismissed. I'd hire him again in a second. I'd highly recommend his services to anyone in need.Kenneth
He went above, and beyond to make sure all my needs were met. He truly cares about his clients and works hard to do what’s best for them. I would highly recommend to anyone who is ever in need of a lawyer.Anon
Without a doubt, Joe Scura is by far a professional who is well versed in the law, exceptionally transparent, Diligent in every aspect, and goes beyond his payment To make sure his client’s needs are met in all domains. Joe’s compassion is as exceptional as his performance.Judith